Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Bali - Canggu

Aina headed to Singapore and then back to Barcelona to start preparing for an interview.

We thought about how we wanted to organize ourselves for all these unexpected and cool changes to our trip. I mean how many people can say they had to stop their holiday / travels for an interview and then be able to head back out and travel again. Anyways, we are being reminded of our fortune to not only have one another, but also of the circumstances we have in our life together on a regular basis while traveling.

Aina was smart and suggested I go to a surfing school. The whole idea of being here alone made me uncomfortable, as Aina knows I draw a lot of strength from her support. So I was a bit stressed and anxious about circumstances.

Aina had booked us a small homestay out in the countryside of Canggu. The couple, Made and Wayan, are some of the sweetest people we have encountered on our trip. They were very genuine and welcoming. Their hospitality almost reminded me of our visit to see Aina's friend Memo and Emre with how welcomed I felt, although in this instance we were paying, so still slightly different.

Aina left the next day and I decided to stay another night at Made and Wayan's as it was so nice. Made would take me to the surf camp bright and early. They had forgotten money they had lent me at one point and I had to remind them I owed them 20k rupiah.



View from the room.

Kites
Out in the countryside it seems children were flying kites everywhere. It was really nice and in the photo above you can sort of make out the red kite hiding in a cloud.

My dinner at the Homestay.

Organized and ready.
Everything I have at this point. It seems like a lot but it isn't too much. My bag weighs about 8 kilos. Aina's weighs slightly more.


Surfing over the past few days has been fun. The instruction is less than what you get on an airline in case of emergency, but I didn't die so that's good news. More or less the instructors say "paddle deep!" "Chest up!" and my personal favorite although it was only said once "keep your balance!". I am not sure it was worth it and my cost benefit analysis as an middle aged man tells me I will be unable to devote the time I would like / need to advance my surf skills. I wish it was as easy as skiing. 

I think I enjoyed the people also as much as the surfing. My favorite experience was meeting Mike from Cologne. A nice guy just recently out of school and looking to study psychology now. Mike and his friends were extremely nice and Mike and I had a long conversation about football, as his team is BVB and I support Arsenal. Mike also is in insanely good shape and does breakdancing and other interesting activities. I try to keep in shape so whenever I meet someone in great shape I always want to know what they do. Mike does not use weights but uses his own weight for strength building. 

After more inquiry and explanation of my little routines he invited me to workout with him and his friend named Casimir, which I think for some reason is the coolest friggin' name. No idea why, but I like it a lot. Also, Casimir seemed liked a really nice guy and laughed at my dumb jokes, so of course I liked the guy. I hid the fact from them that I was an old man. As I had discovered my first day in camp that I was nearly 10 years older than everyone. They asked, "You have no wrinkles and look so young. Do you use creams or something?". I felt like Sophia Loren. I was beautiful for that bright shining moment. Anyways, the workout was intense and impressive to see the strength of Mike. I am now sore and want to try and find a gym and do more.

The last night in the camp I invited Karen and Keegan, a couple from Jackson Hole, to go to dinner with me. Apparently I had made myself seem pitiful and lonely because when I swung by their place from the dorms I had four people with me, as I kept inviting people. Keegan said "You put on this sad lonely guy thing and then show up with four people". Keegan, who I liked a lot, is an ER nurse so I got a hilarious story from him.

We went to a local restaurant where you could select the foot you wanted. The plates generally cost 25k - 35k.

Options & more Options.

My accidental Bali Thanksgiving Dinner.

Yes, Everything looked absolutely delicious. Keep in mind my German friends had exhausted me and I needed to refuel. The plate above cost about 52k, erm almost double a normal plate. I ate a pork rendang, tempeh, a corn salad, potatoes, green beans and carrots, sauteed green, two samosas, a fried chicken breast, and rice. I think that is all.

After dinner Stefan and I needed supplies from the pharmacy for little rashes and burns from surfing. While there I saw this packet of flu medicine and the guy looks just like Jaime from Broad City to me.

Jaime from Broad City?

Sorry I don't have any surf photos :(. I promise I can stand up on whitewash waves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment