Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Kyoto: Lunch in Arashiyama and Fushimi Inari-taisha

After visiting the Tenryu-ji Temple Aina wanted us to go to a restaurant there in the town called Hanana, as a friend of Aina's said it was her favorite restaurant in Japan.


We all ordered lunch menus and you can get an idea of the meal in the photos below. The menus came with delicious steamed and pickled vegetables. Aina and her mom had a sashimi fish with sesema sauce that they combined with rice and then poured warm green tea on top before eating. I ordered a menu with a grilled/smoked fish that a very light sweet savory sauce it seemed. The dessert was a sort of gelatin served with a ground powdering of roasted sesames with a strong tea on the side.



After lunch we headed back into Kyoto and as I was tired and feeling it would be good to rest I headed back to the hostel. Aina and her mom headed to Fushimi Inari-taisha. A shrine known for its many iconic gates.




Aina explained the torii gates are a source of good luck and they saw many representations of foxes, again a symbol of good luck.



While on the topic of gates and entrances, I really like the Japanese characters in the elevators for open or close the doors.






I am convinced the symbol for the open doors is related to the temple gates that are similar in structure and appearance. To me it is a smybol of openness and welcoming to anyone. Either way I am (extremely) slowly learning Japanese characters.



In the evening Aina and I decided it would be good to finally try the Japanese curry and something we had both been wanting to try.

We headed to a restaurant called CoCo Ichibanya and it seems to be a fairly popular curry house here in Japan.

The servings were large as neither of us could finish all our rice, but we really enjoyed the curries. Aina and I both ordered a chicken cutlets with curry and Aina had a side of wasabi sauce included with her meal, I forgot to try it haha, but Aina seemed to really enjoy it.

The food is not colorful but the flavors are delicious and I really liked the curry and especially the spice. I had been expecting a sweeter curry, as I had heard it described, but felt it was not very sweet at all and thoroughly enjoyed it as there was a slight peanut flavor underneath it .





No comments:

Post a Comment