Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Trashcans: Optional

The following just amazes me as much as it bothers me. In Japan it is very damn difficult to find trashcans pretty much anywhere. Even in food markets where they serve ready-to-eat food for you to eat on the go!

It's amazing how they can pull this off. I mean, I admire the public spending savings not having to deal with public or street trashcans but the 'policy' of you carry "whatever you use or produce" has gotten a bit too far in my opinion. Carry your garbage until you get home can only fly in this country. I dare you to try this in any other 'first world country'. People would be piling up trash like it's nobodies business and complain about it any day of the week.

As a tourist visiting Japan, this presents its challenges as you do not have a set routine. You don´t go to work, go to the gym and then come back home. You walk, try to understand and get your way around the country and sometimes you pretty much know where you wake up but not sure where are you going to sleep. The reason why tourists respect this phenomena is because you are just to embarrassed to just throw anything on the side of a street.

I love the cleanliness and politeness of Japan and its people. I guess that comes with a price (sometimes a very messy and saucy price) ;)

Rare sighting of a trashcan (still finding the pic sorry)

Aina

No comments:

Post a Comment