Saturday, March 17, 2018

Kyoto: Nishiki Market and Travels to Osaka

Our last day in Kyoto we started by heading to the Nishiki Market. The market was right near where we were staying. It runs parallel to Shijo Street, considered the shopping area / street of Kyoto. In general I found Shijo Street to be really pleasant, as the wide sidewalks are covered with tall awnings along the entire street. It gives this sort of 50s / 60s US feel to it for some reason.


The market runs at the minimum 5 blocks it seems with varied stalls and ready to serve and consume food. We took many photos of the market and will share below. 




Dried fish and other assorted sea animal products.




Pickled veggies. I love vinegar and pretty much enjoy anything placed in front me that has been preserved in this manner. I really like the yellow radishes and ginger in particular for the flavor and the colors (bright yellows / deep red purples).



More fish products to eat as you go.



This does not look terribly appetizing, but these are vegetables (I think eggplant for sure in the middle) being marinated / preserved in miso and I am sure they are delicious... did not get a chance to try or maybe I have already and didn't know, in which case definitely delicious. 



These were little treats we tried that are a pastry bread of sorts filled with a sweet yolk type custard.



 A large variety of mochi and did not realize that it was produce in such large sizes. I didn't try any as I am not a big fan, as the texture does not suit me, although really good I am sure.



Yummy, fresh seafood. We tried some fatty tuna :).



My personal treat for myself when I split from Aina and Montse for a little. So good and so simple with a little salt and lemon.



Octopus balls. The sauce had roe eggs and then another sauce of a sort of savory sweet plum sauce maybe, I think.



Dat fat boy tuna I mentioned earlier. It almost looks like beef or pork and was really good. I got a couple of pieces when I could. Aina and Montse loved it.




I did not have the nerve or appetite to eat these octopus treats. They are baby octopi (or octpuses, you understand) with a hard boiled quail egg stuff into the head and then cooked. Cue bad joke... different take on egg head?



Aina and Montse enjoying a green tea ice cream. It looked really good, but we agreed it was a little lacking. The donuts of honey and cinnamon though from the same shop were really good and did not last for a photo. Also side note, Aina is learning to love honey although she claims she does not like it. This is a slow process, but I am getting there with spicy food included. Next stop on Aina's food loving adoption tour is cheese. Also speaking of cheese, we have seen very little to no cheese here at all. I had not considered it before, but cheese does not seem to have a place in the culinary pallete of Japan.



After the market I went back to the hostel to chill and get harrassed by an overly friendly Japanese guy that I think / hope only wanted to speak English with me. Highlight of my "relaxing" was his random screeching of my name from the hostel kitchen (I was sitting in the commons / living room area), "CARY!!!! COME HELP!!!". He needed me to open a jar of spaghetti sauce for him. It was an odd moment. I didn't want to teach an adult man the tricks to not emasculating yourself. I opened the jar. Aina says I am at times too nice to strangers. I think she has a point.

Aina and her mom visited Ginkaku Temple and walked on the Philosophers path in Gion area where we had gone during another evening. I don't have any photos from their part of the day. My apologies. I hear it was quite nice and it is nice stroll.

In the afternoon we headed to Osaka and would be our lauching off point for our travel to Koyasan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment